This is a slightly retrospective post; I stayed at Brooks Lodge in 2014, but didn’t appreciate the full sustainable nature of the property until much later.
The two bedroom “cottage” is an extension to an 18th century barn on the outskirts of Piddinghoe village, a charming civil parish nestled on the South Downs in East Sussex in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The lodge, which sleeps four, won a Sussex Heritage Award in 2013, thanks to its use of “sympathetic but modern materials” which allowed the stunning rural landscape to be viewed from all the windows in the property – of which there are many.
What makes the property especially unique, however, is it was built and designed entirely using sustainable materials.
- Inconspicuous photovoltaic slates (also known as solar roof tiles) to produce the cottage’s electricity
- A ground source heat pump to provide heating and hot water
- A solar thermal array to provide further hot water
- LED ultra low energy lighting
- Rainwater harvester to provide water for the toilets and garden
- A bio disc ecological waste water treatment plant
- A sedum green roof to reduce rainwater runoff and flood risk
Where to visit:
- Beachy Head. It’s a 30-minute drive from the house, but it’s well worth a visit. Take in the dramatic, breathtaking panoramic scenery as you ramble across the cliff tops.
- Follow the River Ouse, which is just across the road from the property, as it snakes it way across fields and admire the British countryside. Or take a hike down to the coast which is three miles away.
- A short drive away you’ll also find the beautiful Seven Sisters Country Park. Made up of 280 hectares of chalk cliffs, river valley and fields, its perfect for walking, cycling, canoeing – and even a spot of birdwatching.
- Lewes. The picture-perfect town is just a few miles away from Piddinghoe (a 30 minute cycle ride). It’s brimming with character and packed full of shops selling local produce. There’s also a farmer’s market on the first Saturday of every month.
Visit RuralRetreats.co.uk to book a stay at Brooks Lodge.