A recent study by the Soil Association found “clear nutritional differences” between organic and non-organic milk and meat.
The differences also apply to organic dairy like butter, cream, cheese and yoghurt.
So, without further ado, here are five simple reasons organic food is better for you:
- both organic milk (dairy) and meat contain around 50% more beneficial omega-3 fatty acids than conventionally produced products
- organic meat had slightly lower concentrations of two saturated fats linked to heart disease
- organic milk and dairy contains 40% more conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) – CLA has been linked to a range of health benefits including reduced risk of cardiovascular disease, certain cancers and obesity, but evidence is mainly from animal studies
- organic milk and dairy contains slightly higher concentrations of iron, Vitamin E and some carotenoids
- organic milk contains less iodine than non-organic milk
So, looks like that extra few pence at the supermarket *is* worth it after all…